The 1951-52 Elkhart Lake Races were the first and last events with true wheel to wheel completion through downtown Elkhart Lake.
Author: Steve Laske
On Saturday May 18th the Chicago Region had organized a special event just for members of the Sports Car Club of America and their guests to view a collection of privately owned vehicles.
After exiting Briggs’ Bend the track ran up-hill to a soft rolling peak and then headed back down hill to the “Hard Right” the last turn of the original race circuit.
Join us, as we visit the Collectors Car Garage on May 18, 2019. The Chicago Region SCCA has organized a special event just for members of the Sports Car Club of America to view a collection of privately owned vehicles.
As the cars of the 1950 Elkhart Lake race negotiated “Ted’s Turn” a tight 110 degree right hander, the field then headed west on a gentle uphill run. The first marker Peck’s Alley, is 0.1 tenth of a mile west of County J on Birchwood Drive (County JP, back in 1950 County X). The second marker on this part of the circuit is for Briggs’ Bend at the intersection of North Turtle Bay Road. This right hand bend in the road is followed with a sudden 15 to 20 foot drop in elevation.
At the end of the long straight drivers made another right hand turn on to County X is where the third historical marker “Teds Turn” is found on the original 3.35 mile 1950 race circuit.
Chicago Region SCCA is back for a second year at the Geneva Concours d’Elegance, August 25th, 2019
Come join SCCA Chicago Region on Saturday, March 23, at 1 p.m. for an exciting and informative gathering to learn more about a competitive team in a very competitive race series.
As organized road racing began with the 1950 Elkhart Lake Road Races, the drivers of that year were the first and only ones to have the opportunity to charge this first turn.
The Checkered Flag Party celebrated the past year as it welcomed in the next. One-hundred and forty people joined the festivities at Ferrari Lake Forest.