- This event has passed.
Track Sprint #3
August 19 All day
TRI-STATE 2023 CHAMPIONSHIP TRACKSPRINT #3
No cones, no gimmicks, just time on track!
Join the Tri-State Sports Car Council for timed runs and fun on track!! This event will be held on the North Course at Autobahn Country Club on Saturday, August 19, 2023, with on-track activities set to begin at 4:30 PM.
What is TrackSprint?
TrackSprint uses ¾ of a course — sometimes North, sometimes South — for a time attack run unlike any other event. Just you and your ride against the clock. No passing allowed, no wheel to wheel. Cars will be spaced at minimum intervals to get you maximum seat time. No transponders or fancy equipment needed, but you must have numbers on your car which are readable at speed and from a distance — this means at least 8″ tall in a color that contrasts with your car’s exterior.
TrackSprint is run similar to an autocross, with a standing start and a flying finish through timing beams, but it is generally less hard on your equipment. You will leave pitlane from a standing start when directed by the starter and attack the course. After Turn Six you will pass the finish beam, after which there will be a short cool-down portion of the track before you enter pit lane to restage for your next run. We start with three runs for each run group and evaluate total run count based on time remaining after everyone has 3 runs in the books. We are not able to guarantee a set amount of time on track or more than 3 runs, though we always hope to provide more!
- Entry Fee: $110
- Early Registration Discount: $20 off
- Late/On-Site Entry Fee: $130
- Weekend Membership*: $20 Weekend Membership Fee for non-SCCA members. SCCA full or weekend membership is required for this event, but the weekend membership fee can be applied to your full membership after the event.
- Early Registration discount ends four days before the event.
Event Day: Check-in for this event begins at 1:30 PM; the mandatory drivers’ meeting starts at 4:00 PM; and on-track activities are scheduled to begin at 4:30 PM. Trophies will be awarded 15-20 minutes after the course closes.
Run Groups: We typically have 3-4 run groups for TrackSprint: Advanced, Intermediate A, Intermediate B, and Novice. These run groups are based on the driver‘s skill and experience. You don’t have to drive any faster than you feel comfortable, but comfort levels and speed tend to increase with experience, which is why we offer four different run groups. Remember, TrackSprint means one car at a time with no passing, so pick the group that fits you best!
Car Classifications: Cars are classed according to your vehicle‘s relative power and modifications. TrackSprint uses the four categories from SCCA Time Trials classification: Sport, Tuner, Max, and Unlimited. Please take the time to figure out which class your car belongs in prior to registering. Contact the registration team — in advance of the event, please — with any questions.
- Sport Category, which ranges from Sport 1 (higher performance) to Sport 6 (more modest performance), is for daily-driven street cars on tires with a treadwear rating of 200 or higher. Sport Category allows only minimal modifications; click here for the full Sport Category guidelines.
- Tuner Category is also intended for street-driven vehicles with a treadwear rating of 200 or higher, but with allowances for some bolt-on modifications for tuning and adjustment. Tuner Category ranges from Tuner 1 to Tuner 5, and there is room for your SCCA Solo ST cars, too, as long as they run on TT legal tires. Click here for the full Tuner Category guidelines.
- Max Category is where you find “Maximum” street cars: engine swaps, aftermarket or increased forced induction; suspension geometry changes, or even aftermarket wings and body work. Max Category ranges from Max 1 to Max 5, and this might be where you enter your approved Kit Car; click here for the full Max Category guidelines.
- Unlimited Category is for those production-based vehicles that are not street-going or on DOT tires with less than 200 treadwear or are on non-DOT racing tires. Unlimited is divided into Unlimited 1 (production silhouette, but over the displacement limits or under the weight limits for Unlimited 2) and Unlimited 2 (minimum of 1750 pounds with driver and maximum displacement of 3.0 liters). Remember that ANY car running on sub-200 treadwear or race tires will be classed in Unlimited.
Drivers’ Meeting: There will be a mandatory drivers’ meeting with in-depth instructions on track safety and etiquette 30 minutes before the course goes hot. Be there early enough to get through registration and prep your car before the meeting. Information given at the meeting is crucial to EVERYONE for a safe and smooth event. If you are found not in attendance, you WILL be asked to leave. No refunds, no exceptions.
Vehicle Eligibility: Most trucks, SUVs, and crossover vehicles, as well as most race cars, are not eligible for this event. Please click here to see the most current SCCA vehicle classifications for Time Trials.
- $10 TSSCC member
- $20 early registration – ends 4 days before the event
New to events at Autobahn?
- Arrive on Autobahn property and stop at main building and sign waiver. Put on the wristband they give you.
- Proceed to registration; all people in attendance must additionally sign SCCA/TSSCC waiver. Put on the wristband WE give you. (There, now you’ve started your collection!)
- Return to car, make car race ready, and proceed to drivers’ meeting.
- We run rain or shine in all kinds of temperatures. However, the event will be temporarily suspended if lightning is observed in the immediate area. Please bring appropriate rain/cold/hot/sunny weather gear. Make sure you also bring something to cover and/or secure your gear while it is not in your car (plastic garbage bags or a tarp).
- The concession stand is not usually open during TrackSprint events, so plan to bring a cooler with water, sports drinks, and snacks.
Chicago Region Meeting Schedules
Board of Directors – meets on the second Wednesday of the month (invitation only)
Competition Committee – typically meets on the first Monday of the month
Autocross Committee – typically meets on the 3rd Wednesday of the month
Track Day Committee – typically meets the 4th Wednesday of the month.
General Membership – Third Wednesday of the month in October, November, January, February, March, and April