This historic marker located on County Highway “P” just south of the intersection of Cty P and Lake Side Park Road for Dickins’ Ditch reads “Named for Robert “Sid” Dickens who raced in an MG-TC. Ted Boynton lost concentration here in 1952 resulting in an excursion into a blueberry patch.”
Following the Schoolhouse Straight the first high speed straight of the 1951 / 52 race circuit the competitors approached at tight ninety degree right hand turn on to County P. This turn was named Kimberly’s Korner, yes Korner with a “K”.
After passing Wacker’s Wend the 1951/52 race circuit continued south bound following County J, A and then turned right to continue following County A west bound.
As the cars left town and drove south on South Lake Street headed towards Quit Qui Oc Golf Course they made a right turn at County J A. Just past this turn is Wacker’s Wend, named after Frederick G. Wacker Jr. the founder of the Chicago Region SCCA in 1948 and our first Regional Executive.
Just as the race cars passed Seibkens the course took a downhill hard left followed by a right sweeper that passed along the eastern shore of Elkhart Lake.
The Chicago Region SCCA, June Sprints® is the longest consecutively run SCCA National Road Race.
The 1951-52 Elkhart Lake Races were the first and last events with true wheel to wheel completion through downtown Elkhart Lake.
After exiting Briggs’ Bend the track ran up-hill to a soft rolling peak and then headed back down hill to the “Hard Right” the last turn of the original race circuit.
As the cars of the 1950 Elkhart Lake race negotiated “Ted’s Turn” a tight 110 degree right hander, the field then headed west on a gentle uphill run. The first marker Peck’s Alley, is 0.1 tenth of a mile west of County J on Birchwood Drive (County JP, back in 1950 County X). The second marker on this part of the circuit is for Briggs’ Bend at the intersection of North Turtle Bay Road. This right hand bend in the road is followed with a sudden 15 to 20 foot drop in elevation.
At the end of the long straight drivers made another right hand turn on to County X is where the third historical marker “Teds Turn” is found on the original 3.35 mile 1950 race circuit.